Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mixing pie dough

Hi everyone,
I just mixed up enough dough for two deep dish pies. I start with 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, two TBSP. sugar, a pinch 1/4 tsp salt, 2/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. Shortening. (chilled butter and a couple tbsp. Crisco). After I mix those I add 6-10 TBSP ice water, and one egg yolk for color. (The chilled butter makes for little airy pockets of flakiness). Start with 6 TBSP water and add as needed.

I mix it all together with my hands to break up the butter until the flour is crumbly then add the ice water and egg yolk.

Photo_3

If it feels dry, add a little more ice water and taste to see if needs more butter.

Photo_4

I form it into a ball and wrap with Saran to chill for an hour.

Photo_5

Next I'll roll them out and make pumpkin and apple pies.


808 283-9131

Marilyn Jansen Lopes
http://Mauicountryfarmtours.com
http://www.amaryllisofhawaii.com

Posted via email from jamarilyn's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

So readers what do you think? I love your comments and feedback! Aloha and have a great day.