Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Marilyn's Pho without the beef

Today I decided to try making Pho without the beef. Granted, I love the rich beef broth I get from simmering a chuck roast for over an hour, but this was a light yet flavorful nice soup.

Photo_1

To give it a nice touch I dredged tofu in garlic powder and brewer's yeast (also called nutritional yeast) which helps brown the tofu nicely and has a lot of flavor. I brown these in olive oil then add a splash of soy sauce or tamari ( a thicker soy sauce ) after it's golden on all sides. Then put these aside...

Photo_2

I dry roasted slices of Ginger, onions and slivered carrots then covered with water (about 5 cups) to simmer. I added 5 star anise (above) and a tsp. of ground cloves, some chopped celery, a few shakes of Patis (fish sauce), a tbsp. of sugar and tsp of salt to the simmer for about 45 minutes.
The broth was really good. I added a touch of shoyu and small broccoli florets to finish it off. When the flavor is right I remove the Ginger, celery and star anise.

Photo_3

My rice noodles were soaking for fifteen minutes so now I just boiled some water, plunged a large amount into the boil with my tongs and swirled for a minute or two. I drained the noodles, placed into a large bowl, ladled broth, broccoli, carrots then garnished with green onion.

Photo_4

I topped it off with the tofu breaded cubes and everything was delicious!

Marilyn Jansen Lopes
http://www.amaryllisofhawaii.com
http://mauicountryfarmtours.com

Posted via email from jamarilyn's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment

So readers what do you think? I love your comments and feedback! Aloha and have a great day.