Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Whale Festival 2010

The Whale Festival was a success for everyone I spoke to. The Maui News said that last year there were more than 14,000 people and 20,000 people were expected to attend the annual event. We set up early and the Parade began at nine AM. I could hear the excitement in the distance. Then suddenly the people began the swarm in to the festival. I never saw the food booths or the entertainment nor the kiddy carnival. I was so busy!

  It was wonderful to see everyone doing so well and everyone enjoying the festivities. I could hear drums in the background and knew that some Hawaiian dancing was going on. I learned after the fact that Anuhea, Cecelio & Kapono, John Cruz had all been on stage for the entertainment. Wow, what a day.
My friend Liza of @AMauiBlog had stopped by my booth when she had a break from her #MauiTweetup and Peter Liu @PeterLiu47 took my picture for Twitter. Thanks, Peter! Then @Jalove stopped by too!

I was selling T-shirts like crazy and books too! My husband was helping me with his great sense of humor and personality telling people my books were  the best deal around as gifts to take home to the mainland. We sold out of my Amaryllis of Hawaii Loves To Cook "Recipes For Life" within an hour.



Next went Amaryllis of Hawaii Imaginations, Poetry and Story and Amaryllis, Amaryllis How Does Your Garden Grow? "Organically, of Course!"
As ususal, I never sat down because I don't want to miss a beat and love to assist every customer to find their size and perfect colors. I was wondering how Judi Riley @tikitales and Maile Getzen http://www.getzengalleries.com/ were doing and finally got the chance to take a quick walk away from my booth at 2PM. Fabulous! Everyone was selling out!

Coffee cozy

My husband took a run to food booths and brought back three delicious plates which I forgot to photograph, darn. Teriyaki Plate lunch with a caesar salad, a Mexican enchilada plate and a BBQ chicken plate with lots of sweet corn and Kim Chee. I nibbled as fast as I could and it was delicious! Washed it down with Perrier and a Fresca then hopped back up for more sales. Whew! It was a craft fair frenzy and the cash and credit crads were flowing.

My neighbor's booth. He said they should have a Whale Day event for each season of the year!
I  met Ashley @somethingcanny selling her gorgeous bouquets.


Makana O Maui  is created by Sherri Reeve's sister Linda and her daughter. Beautiful soaps packaged in artwork by Sherri Reeve.

Lehua Kekahuna had wonderful Hawaiian flowers and crafts. They are also entertainers. Their web-site is http://www.kuliakanuuproductions.vpweb.com/


Shannon Peck made these gorgeous creations. She has a cute web-site too!Her One-of-a-kind purses I thought were beautiful. I only had a few moments to browse and photograph then race back to my booth. I don't want to miss a sale and my husband is good but nothing like the artist to represent her own work.


This German girl fell in love with one of my rhinestoned denim jackets.

The winds picked up in the late afternoon as they always do in Kihei and it got a little crazy handling t-shirts flying in the wind. I kept my cool and proceeded to sell until the sun was getting low in the sky. My husband said let's pack it up early and I said no honey we'll stay til the end. I traded a hand-painted Tee with my neighbor Julie of JB Creations, who sells gorgeous earrings and beaded bracelets, watches, soy candles and silk scarves. She is at the Maui Swap Meet every Saturday.

I saw many friends and met people from all over the globe.

It was a great event! I love to paint and get together with the crowd on Maui. It is such a gorgeous place to live and work and play.

My feet were killing me when I got home and was so happy to get horizontal.


Until next time,
Aloha Everyone....

Marilyn

The Artful Hawaiigirl 


All photos are by Marilyn Jansen Lopes and photos of others are posted with their permission.I have received no compensation to mention products or companies on my blog.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Marilyn,

    Thank you for sharing these fabulous pictures and wonderful memories. I am so happy that you were really busy and did extremely well. Take care and God bless!

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, this is such a beautiful blog. Your fabulous presentation made me wish I could've been there. Next year, okey dokey, sista? I love and miss you, Pamela
    Author of How I Became A Fearless Woman by Pamela Jansen
    www.pamelajansen.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Wes and Pamela! I'm glad you enjoyed my Whale Festival Post. It was quite a day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marilyn, I love your blog. And your wonderful pictures. Although I have quite a few of your hand painted tees, I LOVE the pictures of your plumeria t-shirts. It makes me want more, more, more! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeannette! Long time no see you! I miss you:) I'm do glad you saw this post. We have to paint together again one day...maybe on Maui! I have two new puppies now...will prepare them for travel to and from California...
    Aloha my friend and ((((hugs)))) love, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

So readers what do you think? I love your comments and feedback! Aloha and have a great day.