Thursday, August 20, 2009

Portuguese Bean Soup

Aloha friends,

Here is a short version of my Portuguese Bean Soup. The long version uses a pork butt or shoulder and dried kidney beans which are soaked overnight. It is so easy to make Portuguese Soup.



I start with two TBSP. of vegetable oil and saute celery, onions, garlic and chopped carrots, as usual for nearly all my soups.







Then I add my Portuguese sausage which has been cut into coins and cut in half to brown with the veggies for about five minutes.





After the Portuguese sausage browns, I add two cans of kidney beans with the juice from the can too! Sometimes I add different kind beans (whatever is available in my pantry.) As you see this time I used black beans, and later I added 1 can pork & beans to finish.



Next I add about six cups of water to the pot. I simmer this for about an hour.
I added 1 can of tomato paste. It was a big can (8 oz.) Normally I use tomato sauce, but being the spontaneous chef, I get by and compromise with what will do the trick. Adjust the broth for thickness by adding a little more water if necessary.
Add


1 tsp. allspice

3 TBSP. ketchup

2 TBSP. balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP. Sugar


I taste and Mmmm its coming along fine. All the flavor comes from the Portuguese sausage.

It's a pork thing as you know, so much flavor!

To finish off the soup just about ten minutes before before serving:



Add the greens.

Usually I add watercress or shredded cabbage.
Today I had only spinach so I shredded that and added on top.

Cover with the lid to steam for ten minutes.



Then Voila!



It's Soup.


Serve with nice steamed white rice and ENJOY!

A Portuguese Sweet bread would be nice with this to dip into the soup.
Thank you readers for checking out my Portuguese Soup. You must try this delicious recipe too.

It's so easy that once you try it you'll remember it for LIFE!

See also Amaryllis of Hawaii Loves To Cook "Recipes for Life."

Hope you subscribe and I love your comments on twitter but am eager to get them started here on the blog. What do you love to eat in Hawaii? What do you want to know how to cook?

I will show you how as best as I can!
Have a favorite restaurant on Maui?

Let me know.


Aloha,
Marilyn

Here's a sample layout from my cookbook!


















A gift for you!







Aloha...
Coming soon: Wild Alaskan Cod on Spinach Salad with my honey vinaegrette!




















































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































2 comments:

So readers what do you think? I love your comments and feedback! Aloha and have a great day.